History of Hienie’s McCarthy’s
Henry McCarthy called “HIENIE” by his family born in 1905 in Chicago lived on the south side of Chicago.
In 1947 Henry borrowed $500 from his brother in law to open up a fresh fish store in Hammond Indiana on 726 State Street. After a few months of being open, a customer named Mrs. Brown suggested to fry the fish, so, Hienie bought two fryers and started frying the fish and shrimp. They started calling it Hienie’s Shrimp House. After that, business was successful. He had all four of his sons working. About a year later he moved the business to 9134 Mackinaw in Chicago only blocks away from US Steel Mills.
Hienie, Eddie and Bob operated the store till 4:00am in those days, and in 1965 they built a new store at 9101 Mackinaw. Being harassed for protection money, son Bob opened up a store on 8450 Commercial, Chicago. In 1983 Bob opened up a Hienie’s on 10359 S Torrence.
In 1978 Hienie’s McCarthy’s was opened in Orland Park by son Bob for his children (Tami, Bob Jr, Denise and Paul). Obviously four siblings is a recipe for disaster so in 1986, Bob Jr opened up a new store in Chicago Ridge (10608 S Ridgeland). A year later, he opened up in Tinley Park (7122 W 171st).
Business was cooking so we thought the best way to continue to grow was to franchise. We quickly sold franchises in Calumet City, Whiting, Indiana, and Cicero, Illinois. Then, just as quickly, learned that selling franchises was not the same as selling Chicken, Fish and Shrimp.
Hienie’s on Torrence and Hienie’s McCarthy’s in Orland are still doing well today. Still a family business for over 60 years and 4 generations.